RULES AND REGULATIONS
THE 2018 AWARDS OF EXCELLENCE IN BRAIN INJURY REHABILITATION
The Ontario Brain Injury Association (OBIA) in collaboration with the Personal Injury Alliance (PIA Law) are pleased to present the 2018 Awards of Excellence in Brain Injury Rehabilitation to those who consistently provide exceptional service to the brain injury community.
The five award categories are as follows:
- 1. Hospital Social Worker of the Year
- 2. Case Manager of the Year
- 3. Health Care Provider of the Year
- 4. Community Brain Injury Association of the Year
- 5. Rehabilitation Company of the Year
Online nominations are open to the public for any of these awards starting June 4, 2018.
Once the nomination process is complete, online voting for the selected nominees will start on August 7, 2018.
The Awards of Excellence will be presented to recipients at The Ritz-Carlton on Thursday, September 20, 2018, during the Back to School Conference hosted by PIA Law and Ontario Brain Injury Association.
1. Hospital Social Worker of the Year – This award will be given to the hospital social worker who has consistently gone above and beyond the call of duty to help brain injury survivors and their families. The recipient will be selected from social workers working at a trauma or rehabilitation hospital in the last year (2017/2018).
2. Case Manager of the Year – This award will be given to a case manager working in private practice who has consistently gone above and beyond the call of duty to help catastrophically impaired brain injury survivors and their families. The recipient will be someone who has worked for at least the last year (2017/2018) as a private case manager helping catastrophically impaired brain injury survivors.
3. Health Care Provider of the Year – This award will be given to the health practitioner who has consistently gone above and beyond the call of duty to assist the brain injury community. The recipient may be in the public or private sector and can be from any discipline whatsoever (i.e. physician, speech- language pathologist, private social worker, occupational therapist, psychologist, physiotherapist, rehabilitation support worker, personal support worker, etc.). The recipient will be someone who consistently goes the extra mile to assist the brain injury community.
4. Local Brain Injury Association of the Year – This award is meant to recognize the non-profit brain injury association which provides exemplary service to the brain injury community and continues to find innovative means to support brain injury survivors and their families.
5. Rehabilitation Company of the Year – This award is meant to recognize the private rehabilitation company that consistently provides exceptional and dedicated service to brain injury survivors, including through volunteer work by its personnel.
THE NOMINATION PROCESS
Nominations can be made online by clicking on the following link: Nominations for 2018 Awards of Excellence in Brain Injury Rehabilitation from June 4 to July 13, 2018.
Please note that Award Winners from the previous two years (2016 & 2017) will not be eligible for nomination.
No current OBIA Board Member and/or their employees can accept a nomination for any of these awards.
Nominations are open to the public for consideration, including anonymously, for any of the Awards by simply identifying the candidate and providing a means of contacting them and providing a reason for the nomination. You can nominate in any category and you can nominate more than one person/organization if you wish.
On or about July 18, 2018, the Nomination Panel will then review all of the submitted nominations and will select up to seven nominees for each award.
Selected nominees will be contacted by the Nomination Panel on or about July 25, 2018. Nominees will be given an opportunity to accept or decline the nomination.
THE NOMINATION PANEL
The Nomination Panel is comprised of three members: two from OBIA and one from PIA Law.
It is expected that approximately 4 to 7 accepting nominees will be chosen for each category by the Nomination Panel.
LEARNING ABOUT THE NOMINEES
Selected nominees will be asked to submit their photos and bios to the Nomination Panel.
Online bios will be made available to the public for the purpose of online voting.
The online bios will allow for members of the public to post supportive comments about nominees (with all comments being vetted and approved by a designate of the Nomination Panel before being posted publicly).
THE VOTING PROCESS
Voting will be done online by clicking on the following link: Voting for 2018 Awards of Excellence in Brain Injury Rehabilitation from August 7 to September 6, 2018.
Any member of the public is eligible to vote for a chosen nominee. Information about each nominee will be available through their online bios.
Members of the public will be able to post supportive comments about any nominee (with all posting being vetted by a designate of the Nomination Panel before being posted publicly).
A valid email address is needed to vote for each of the chosen nominees, and only one vote will be accepted from each distinct email address (but voters are allowed to vote from multiple valid email addresses, etc.).
A branded email developed by the Nomination Panel listing all the nominees in each category will be made available to the nominees to promote voting.
THE DECISION PROCESS
The recipients of the awards will be determined by the following criteria:
- 1. Strong advocacy for their clients
- 2. Positive outcome for their clients
- 3. Years of service
- 4. Credentials
- 5. Number of public votes
- 6. Supporting testimonials
Please note, voting by members of the public will be a key consideration in the decision-making process of the winners, but not the determining factor. The ultimate decision rests with the Nomination Panel.
ANNOUNCING THE RECIPIENTS AND PRIZES
Nominees will be notified of the outcome of the voting on or about September 11, 2018, and will be asked to keep the outcome confidential until the public announcement on September 20, 2018.
The recipients will be recognized and presented with an award by the Ontario Brain Injury Association on Thursday, September 20, 2018, at The Ritz-Carlton during the Back to School Conference hosted by PIA Law and Ontario Brain Injury Association.
The non-profit recipients, namely the Hospital Social Worker of the Year and the Community Brain Injury Association of the Year will be offered a complimentary one night stay at The Ritz-Carlton during the conference. The recipient of the Community Brain Injury Association of the Year award will also receive $2,000 for the purposes of continuing to provide support to brain injury survivors.